This toolkit has been jointly developed by UNITAR, the Division for Public Institutions and Digital Governance (DPIDG) of UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) and the UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC). It goes a step further in promoting policy coherence through the participatory strategic planning and is recommended for use in situations where there is an interest to go deeper into the “how-to” of integrated planning, beyond the good practices presented in the foundational toolkit “Policy cycle, integrated approaches and SDGs”.
The toolkit is comprised of comprehensive training materials to apply systemic approaches to analyze the interactions between different SDG areas and to design integrated policies. Key methodological areas of the toolkit are system thinking, policy coherence, institutional arrangements and stakeholder engagement among others. The toolkit aims to facilitate government officials, academia, UN Country Teams and other national experts to conduct trainings.
The toolkit comprised of following modukes and sessions that could be used to conduct a national training:
- Module: A holistic approach to policy coherence: key building blocks
- Module: Governance and stakeholders’ engagement and capacities to implement the SDGs
- Module: Enhancing policy design capacity through system thinking and analysis
- Module: Evaluating policy options for coherence and developing integrated national strategies
- Module: Assessing governance and institutional capacities for policy coherence and integration
- In Focus: Integrated policy design in practice
- Action planning