United Nations Institute for Training and Research
Europe and North America
UNECE's major aim is to promote pan-European economic integration. UNECE includes 56 member States in Europe, North America and Asia.Visit the Regional Commission website
This regional section dedicated to the North American and European region goes beyond the geographic boundaries of the two continents and encompasses learning resources and capacity development initiatives that can be helpful to any country from among the 56 member States of the UN Economic Commission for Europe situated in Europe, North America and Asia. UNECE itself supports countries in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) thanks to its:
- Role as a platform for governments to cooperate and engage with all stakeholders on norms, standards and conventions;
- Unique convening power across the region;
- Multisectoral approach to tackle the interconnected challenges of sustainable development in an integrated manner;
- Transboundary focus, which helps devise solutions to shared challenges;
- Partnerships (SDG 17) between stakeholders including governments, international and regional organizations, businesses, academia and civil society are a driving force of UNECE’s work.
This covers three main strategic areas:
- Improving connectivity within the region (SDGs, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13);
- Reducing environmental pressures and using resources more sustainably (SDGs 3, 6, 7, 12, 13, 15);
- Contributing to creating more dynamic and resilient economies (SDGs 7, 8, 9, 11, 13).
How would you like to learn about sustainable development?
UNITAR, Stirling Uni
United Nations Statistics Division
Statistical Institute for Asia and the Pacific
Environmental Systems Research Institute Environmental Systems Research Institute
JC CARTERON / A DECAMPS The Sustainability Literacy Test
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
Environmental Systems Research Institute
What do you want to learn about today?
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being for people
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure
- Reducing inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
Capacity building initiatives
UNECE’s technical cooperation and capacity-building activities in support of SDGs concentrate on issues of a transboundary nature, such as trans-European and/or trans-continental transport corridors, protection of environment, trade and transport facilitation, energy efficiency, and the promotion of the knowledge-based economy. They are closely linked with UNECE’s normative work, seeking to improve the capacity of governments to implement UNECE legal instruments, norms, standards and regulations. These normative outputs support UNECE member States in their efforts to advance the 2030 Agenda.