Course detailsVisit course page
- 4 days
- 2500 USD
- Start date
- 10 November 2020
- End date
- 13 November 2020
- Registration deadline
- 1 November 2020
This course equips participants with a sound understanding of the theory and practice of South-South and Triangular Cooperation and how it can advance the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through new and effective cooperation models.
- Sustainable Development Goals
- 2030 Agenda
- Breaking the silos
- Leave no one behind
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being for people
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure
- Reducing inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
About this course
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development demands new approaches to knowledge and skills development for all actors. It requires issues-based modus operandi, fostering new partnerships to identify key problems and opportunities, leveraging diverse means of implementation, and facilitating joint action to ensure progress and maximize results. The nature and ambition of the 2030 Agenda requires new and effective partnerships to ensure its implementation.
Recognizing the growing relevance of South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SS&TC) in accelerating the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, the UN System Staff College (UNSSC) Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development offers this course to build a common understanding of the theory and practice of South-South and Triangular Cooperation as a means of development cooperation. It equips participants with the key principles, tools and methods needed to comprehend the challenges and opportunities inherent in the approach, as well as to better understand the roles of different actors involved and to mobilize relevant partnerships. It explores the catalytic role the UN can play in helping to further promote the South-South Cooperation agendas of its member states and development partners as a whole.
The course expands its coverage beyond individual UN staff and UN Country Team members to governments and institutional focal points on South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
The course builds on interactive methodologies as well as the expertise from subject matter experts and participants from different sectors. It also features application through the use of real-life case studies and practical exercises.
The training programme promotes intellectual and practical knowledge sharing, and fosters a culture of understanding and cross-fertilization among participants. It offers a venue for networking among participants of various organizations aiming at fruitful collaborations and partnerships.
- Building a clear conceptual framework for understanding South-South and Triangular Cooperation in the context of the 2030 Agenda: historical background and rationale, principles, modalities, and approaches
- Exploring the diversity of South-South and Triangular Cooperation programmes and approaches in support of national sustainable development priorities: meeting key partners and players, understanding key driving forces for cooperation, and the tools and strategies applied.
- Implementing South-South and Triangular Cooperation initiatives at country level: important steps and success factors; monitoring and evaluating South-South and Triangular Cooperation; way forward.
Cost of participation
The course fee of $2,500 will cover the following:
- Four days of training with a balance of presentations, group work on case studies and individual skills reflection exercises;
- Exclusive access to a UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues;
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.
Certificates from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.
Special Discount for UN staff working in UN Resident Coordinator Offices (RCOs)
This course is part of the UNSSC Sustainable Development Learning Package offered to Resident Coordinator Offices (RCO) staff. We are offering a special discount of $1,000 to UN staff working in RCOs as part of UNSSC’s targeted support to the UN reform process through sustained and facilitated learning and leadership development programmes.
Clearly indicate in your motivation statement how this course can benefit your work in responding to country-specific needs in implementing the 2030 Agenda.
UN staff and development practitioners.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- demonstrate a solid understanding of the 2030 Agenda and the paradigm shift that it brings.
- understand the foundations and the modalities of the South-South & Triangular Cooperation approach in the context of the 2030 Agenda;
- grasp the most recent tools and methods applied by various stakeholders in the area of South-South and Triangular Cooperation;
- effectively apply South-South and Triangular Cooperation in advancing national development priorities and implementation of the 2030 Agenda in a national context.
United Nations System Staff College
United Nations System Staff College