Course detailsVisit course page
- 3.5 hours
This course aims to raise awareness about countries' requirements for the reporting process on Indicators 15.5.1 and 15.2.1 "Forest area and sustainable forest management", and offers technical support to national teams involved in data collection and analysis.
About this course
This course has been developed to guide countries in reporting on Indicators 15.1.1 and 15.2.1. It illustrates the rationale of the indicators, the definitions and methodologies on which monitoring activities are based, and explains the process and the tools available for compiling data related to the two indicators through the Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) Programme.
This course consists of 5 lessons, ranging from approximately 20 to 60 minutes duration, grouped into three units:
- Unit 1 – Introduction
- Lesson 1.1 – Forests in the SDGs: reporting on Indicators 15.1.1 and 15.2.1
- Unit 2 – SDG Indicator 15.1.1
- Lesson 2.1 – SDG Indicator 15.1.1: Forest area as a proportion of total land area
- Lesson 2.2 – Reporting on forest and other wooded land in the Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) platform
- Unit 3 – SDG Indicator 15.2.1
- Lesson 3.1 – SDG Indicator 15.2.1 and its subindicators
- Lesson 3.2 – Reporting on Indicator 15.2.1 through the online Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) platform
Watch this video to find out more: https://youtu.be/wBKoc75viFgDownload syllabus
This course is primarily intended for those who play a role in data collection, analysis, monitoring and reporting for the SDG Indicators 15.1.1 (Forest area as a proportion of total land area) and 15.2.1 (Progress towards sustainable forest management). The course may also be of interest for all the professionals who wish to have concrete guidance on how to effectively play their role in this process.
- FRA National Correspondent (NC)
- Head of national forestry authority or ministry or policy advisor
- National statistical officer
You will learn about:
- The role of forests and forest-related data and information for the achievement of Goal 15 and other related SDGs
- The rationale of forest-related indicators 15.1.1 and 15.2.1 within the context of the 2030 Agenda
- The methodologies to compile data on indicator 15.1.1 and the main features provided by the FRA platform to complete the reporting process
- The role and activities of countries and FAO in the reporting process on indicator 15.2.1 and the relevant information needed to its estimation