- 4 weeks
- 6-8 hours
- 600 USD
- Start date
- 23 September 2019
- End date
- 20 October 2019
About this course
The United Nations plays a major role in the management and resolution of international conflicts. It is a unique actor in the field of international conflict management which successfully negotiates and implements many of the settlements that have ended some of the most protracted conflicts in the world. Mediation is deployed in the context of international conflicts and intra-state conflicts to advance peacemaking, and requires individuals who have the necessary experience, professionalism and judgement to effectively resolve disputes. By improving one’s mediation skills and developing an understanding of the UN’s role in the mediation process, diplomats will be better equipped to prevent and manage international disputes. This e-learning course will enable participants to enhance their knowledge, strategies and skills in mediation processes.Download syllabus
The course targets mid to senior-level government officers in ministries preparing for and/or taking part in conferences in relation to climate change as well as staff of intergovernmental / nongovernmental organizations. It also targets entry-level and mid-career diplomats working in a multilateral setting. Private sector specialists and students whose work or studies are related to this subject are also encouraged to apply.
- Define mediation and the role of the mediator in preparing, strategizing and prioritizing effective interventions;
- Describe the different phases involved in the mediation process;
- Explain the UN’s role in international mediation;
- Develop mediation skills which can be utilised in international diplomacy;
- Analyze the political, diplomatic and cultural dimensions of mediation.