Course detailsVisit course page
- Hybrid format: Two semesters; Online format: Three semesters
- San Jose, Costa Rica (Hybrid format); Online (Hybrid & Online formats)
- Hybrid format: $19,500.00; Online format: $8,700.00
This MA is an interdisciplinary and holistic programme that will not only broaden student’s knowledge in the field of development studies, sustainability and diplomacy but will also equip them with the required soft skills for a successful international career in any of these areas of expertise.
About this course
The Master of Arts in Development Studies and Diplomacy is an interdisciplinary and holistic programme that will not only broaden student’s knowledge in the field of development studies, sustainability and diplomacy but it will also equip them with the required soft skills for a successful international career in any of these areas of expertise. It is offered both online and in hybrid format on the UPEACE campus in Costa Rica. During this programme, students will analyse the different dimensions of development including, environmental, social, economic and human dimensions as well as the theory and practice of diplomacy in the 21st century. Students will also attend skills development sessions that are designed to support their professional career and employability. Careers in this field can be very broad. Prospective employers include governments, international organizations, development agencies, academia and the private sector.
The following documentation is required to complete the application process. Please have them ready and on hand before beginning your online application process, as they will need to be uploaded into the system. Required supporting documents to be uploaded:
- English Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Statement of Purpose – Letters of Recommendation
- Official Undergraduate (Bachelor’s Degree) Transcripts and Degree Certificate
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Copy of Passport (front page with photo only)
- Passport-size photo
Students can obtain the MA in International Law and Diplomacy (online) upon successful completion of 42 credits, including 36 credits for course work and 6 credits for a final independent research project.
- Hybrid format: 23 August 2021
- Online format: 6 September 2021
- Hybrid: June 2022
- Online: February 2023
- Hybrid: 30 April 2021
- Online: 15 August 2021
The programme is designed for graduate students, diplomats, government officers, NGO representatives, international civil servants or private sector specialists willing to strengthen their knowledge in development studies, sustainability, international affairs management and diplomacy.
At the end of the programme, students will:
- Have a deep understanding on the theory and practice of development studies, international cooperation and sustainable development
- Be able to evaluate the different dimensions of development
- Have a deep understanding on the theory and practice of diplomacy
- Be able to appraise the nexus between diplomacy, the UN System and contemporary challenges
- Be able to apply key soft skills in an international working environment.
Professor Paul Berkman, Professor Maria Ivanova, Professor Larry Susskind
UNITAR, PON, Harvard, MIT, Pardee School, McCormack UMass, SDC, swissnex Boston
Professor Paul Berkman, Professor Maria Ivanova, Professor Larry Susskind UNITAR, PON, Harvard, MIT, Pardee School, McCormack UMass, SDC, swissnex Boston