This interactive training course in English, Arabic, French, and Spanish has been designed for anyone interested in learning more about the human security approach and how to apply it to the development of policies and programmes that are better suited to prevent and respond to complex challenges.
About this course
The development of the human security approach has been driven by the urgency to better respond to people’s needs in a world of complex and multi-dimensional challenges.
Human security emphasizes that the survival, livelihood and dignity of people are the fundamental basis for national, regional and international peace and development. The human security approach offers a practical framework to develop integrated policies and programmes to prevent, mitigate and respond to complex challenges and their multidimensional impacts in a manner that is people-centred, comprehensive, context-specific and prevention-oriented.
Human Security: from Principles to Practice is also available in other languages:
UN staff as well as practitioners and representatives from governments, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, civil society and academia.
Upon completion of the self-paced course, participants will be able to:
- Understand human security, its operational principles, and its added value as an operational framework well-suited to today’s complex and interconnected challenges.
- Apply the human security approach to design integrated policies and programmes.
- Use or adapt tools to advance localized and disaggregated analyses for a deeper understanding of persistent and emerging risks that can impact the survival, livelihood and dignity of people.
- Promote strategies that enable early action, reduce vulnerability and build resilience through inclusive and participatory processes that leave no one behind.
- Benefit from lessons learned and good practices based on the wealth of experience from the UN Trust Fund for Human Security.