Course detailsVisit course page
- 6 weeks
- 2-3 hours per week
- Start date
- 22 February 2021
- End date
- 2 April 2021
Participants will learn to develop a holistic multidimensional poverty index that integrates income-based inequalities with deprivations across health, education, housing, sanitation, employment, livelihoods, food security, environment, and other living standards to inform SDGs implementation.
About this course
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI), Oxford University are offering a FREE five-week Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) “Designing a Multidimensional Poverty Index.” This five-week course facilitated in English draws on a handbook, How to Build a National Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI): Using the MPI to inform the SDGs, launched by UNDP and OPHI in July 2019. The MPI complements traditional monetary poverty measures by capturing severe deprivations in education, health, living standards, employment, safety, and many other dimensions of poverty. Using country and sub-national examples, this course offers detailed practical guidance for policymakers, technical experts, and other stakeholders on how to design an MPI at the national and local levels.
MOOC highlights and outcomes:
- Gain hands-on tools to develop a comprehensive measure capturing the many deprivations faced by the poor
- Interact with experts who are actively engaged in developing national and subnational MPIs
- Join the Community-of-Practice committed to ending multidimensional poverty
- Take a deep dive into rich learning materials
- Receive a certificate of completion from premier international development institutions
The course is aimed at technicians and politicians who are engaged in developing national and subnational MPIs but is open to everyone.
By the time the course in completed, participants will be able to:
- Understand the steps involved in developing a robust Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Examine the normative choices and technical requirements of multidimensional poverty measurement
- Understand the key aspects of stakeholder engagement in designing and using an MPI
- Monitor, analyze and report progress in reducing multidimensional poverty at national and local levels, in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development