Course detailsVisit course page
- 3.5 days
- New York
- 2500 USD
- Start date
- 23 June 2020
- End date
- 26 June 2020
- Registration deadline
- 12 June 2020
This 3.5-day course equips UN and non-UN personnel with knowledge and skills required to communicate and advocate for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Sustainable Development Goals
- 2030 Agenda
- Breaking the silos
- Leave no one behind
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and well-being for people
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure
- Reducing inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and production
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
About this course
The world needs credible and convincing leaders capable of telling powerful stories to successfully achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The ability to communicate a clear, concise and compelling vision of a more sustainable future is at the heart of successful, strategic leadership.
This 3.5-day executive course equips participants working in communications and advocacy with the skills and strategic toolkit they need to strengthen support for the 2030 Agenda. Through professional media coaching, participants will enhance their ability to successfully mobilize, motivate and inspire their organizations, partners, and stakeholders.
This course will focus on applying the art of strategic and effective communication to nurture dialogues with partners and stakeholders. Participants will increase their understanding of diverse audiences, forge new partnerships, determine effective communication modes to reach shared outcomes, and develop a proper communication and advocacy strategy in the context of the 2030 Agenda through a critical review of communication strategies from various stakeholders.
Application-oriented learning methods will prompt participants to apply their learning in various exercises, including a final public speaking project addressing a specific challenge which will be prepared and delivered by the participants themselves, with personalized coaching from highly qualified media professionals.
Tailored workshops will enable participants to focus on the specific trends and needs of diverse actors and audiences and address the latest developments within the UN system and the wider development community.
The training programme will offer a mix of knowledge and skills to enhance participants’ ability to effectively communicate progress on the 2030 Agenda. The course will adopt a blended format of instructional sessions, application-oriented activities and peer-to-peer learning.
Overview and evolution of the concept of sustainable development, the 2030 Agenda, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as the Agenda’s vision and principles; means and ways to craft clear, concise, credible and issue-focused narratives in support of the sustainable development agenda with a view to building ownership among different audiences; knowledge of latest tools and techniques as well as skills required to credibly convey and deliver messages with regards to traditional and new media; employing new approaches and effective and innovative tools and resources to highlight results achieved by one’s organization; visualization and use of accessible language; use of social media within the parameters of the UN; action planning.
Cost of participation
The course fee of $2500 covers the following:
- Three days of training with a balance of presentations and group work on case studies and exercises.
- Exclusive access to UNSSC online social learning environment with training and supporting background materials, and the opportunity to stay connected with colleagues.
- All course materials, resources and contacts.
Participants are expected to cover all travel costs related to their attendance in the course.
Certification in the form of Certificates of Attendance from the UN System Staff College will be awarded to participants upon completion of the course.
Special Discount for UN staff working in UN Resident Coordinator Offices (RCOs)
This course is part of the UNSSC Sustainable Development Learning Package offered to Resident Coordinator Offices (RCO) staff. We are offering a special discount of $1,000 to UN staff working in RCOs as part of UNSSC’s targeted support to the UN reform process through sustained and facilitated learning and leadership development programmes.
Kindly clearly indicate in your motivation statement how this course can benefit your work in responding to country-specific needs in implementing the 2030 Agenda.
UN personnel and civil servants; private sector and civil society representatives; as well as other key stakeholders who need to effectively communicate sustainable development.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the 2030 Agenda with a view to better communicate, advocate, and disseminate compelling stories;
- Have acquired a good understanding of means and ways to craft convincing, powerful and strategic messages and stories that are clear, concise and credible;
- Be equipped with the skills required to credibly convey and deliver messages in support of the sustainable development agenda, highlighting results achieved by their organizations in the context of the 2030 Agenda;
- Have enhanced their communication skills in traditional and new media, and will have identified concrete areas for professional improvement.