Developed jointly by UNICEF and WHO, the Immunization eLearning Initiative provides all immunization staff with access to training in areas deemed vital to the advancement of the Global Vaccine Action Plan and its vision that everyone live a life free from vaccine preventable disease.
This learning programme on “Communication for Immunization” provides all immunization staff with a better understanding of:
- how communication impacts immunization programs and outcomes
- how effective communication activities are planned, executed, supervised and monitored
Through the construction of a variety of Community-Informed Communication Plans, you will acquire the skills and know-how to lead successful communication campaigns for immunization.
This learning programme takes the learner through the step-by-step development of Community-Informed Communication Plans and related activities. The learner is submerged in experiential lessons consisting of quests where he or she will meet different characters and address specific problems regarding immunization coverage and planning.
This course is organized into 5 modules or "Quests":
Quest 1: Research & Analysis
Travel to the country of Panacea and visit the district of Iaso where you will help apply strategic communication for immunization using Communication for Development (C4D) analytical and planning tools.
Quest 2: Objectives & Strategies
Return to the district of Iaso, where you will continue the Community-Informed C4D Plan you started in Quest 1 by identifying SMART objectives and appropriate communication strategies and activities.
Quest 3: Research, Analysis, Objectives & Strategic Design
Visit the district of Aceso and apply the skills you acquired in the previous quests. Specifically, you will analyze the existing communication strategies and if required, propose some improvements.
Quest 4: Channels, Messages & Pretesting
Travel to the district of Aglæa where you will partake in channel analysis as to select the best way to communicate your immunization core messages while crafting communication campaign messages and pre-testing the material.
Quest 5: Implementation, Monitoring & Evaluation
Following up on the Community-Informed C4D Plan developed in the district of Aceso, prepare an implementation plan as well as a monitoring and evaluation plan.
This elearning course is for all national and international World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF professionals involved in immunization programs. It is also open to consultants and partners working in support of immunization.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- List the ways that communication activities impact immunization program goals, globally, regionally, and at all levels within a country
- List the ways that Communication for Development (C4D) and the Social Ecological Model (SEM) can influence positive behavioural changes in immunization
- Identify the purpose, components and steps involved in developing a Community-Informed C4D Plan
- Use data to identify behavioural and social barriers to achieving immunization program objectives within a specific population, and articulate the communication interventions and goals required to overcome those barriers